Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Joy of Parenthood...

Well today I have been having a nice little pity party for myself. Presley is really struggling in her dance class. Not because she doesn't enjoy it or doesn't want to dance but because she has entered into a battle of wills with the teacher. We deal with her strong willed personality everyday and I can't say that it is easy. She is a child who will do something she knows she isn't supposed to and you give her a discipline of some sort,spanking, time out, priveledges taken, whatever...she will cry and then turn right around and do it again to see if you still have the same resolve to discipline her again. You can see the wheels turning in her head as she is contemplating the concequences. So there is a little back ground of where we are with her. She has boundaries in dance class for good reason. it is a class full of 3 year olds who would run crazy with out rules. Presley has learned to push those boundaries and test her teacher. So now she has to leave early when she starts causing problems. I haven't discussed the issues that we deal with at home with her and it was funny that the teacher told me on the phone the other day " I can see in Presley's eyes when she walks in and looks at me...she is saying , ready, set, here we go ". Lovely !! Why in the world do I have the only testy child in that whole class...15 kids and Presley is the issue...Ugh. So I have been feeling bad today that Bry and I are not doing our jobs...why won't she mind ? Why won't she listen ? Why isn't she eager to please like most children her age ? I said pity party...just having a hard day dealing with the fact that we have a super strong willed child.

4 comments:

Fraser said...

Our boy just turned two, but I remember thinking when he was a few days old that we were probably going to have some battle of wills. Lucky for us his will be more along the lines of "I know better than you".

Fraid I can't offer any help/advice... but I'm sure those 14 other little kids all have their problems, its just Presley happens to have a type of problem that bugs teachers :-)

Blanton Family said...

I feel your pain! I'll tell you again that the 1-2-3 Magic has changed our lives. Some how, some way, you should take the time and watch it. It's by Dr. Thomas W. Phelan. Once we started we wondered why it took us so long to go to professionals. You will find yourself wanting EVERYONE who deals with Presley to watch it too, it makes life so much easier.
Love you lots!

Unknown said...

But she sure can be cute and sweet! She will grow out of it and you are both excellent parents!!! We all have a little stubborn in us.

Linda said...

She is wonderful, and when she gets older you will be glad she thinks for herself. And you guys are very active involved parents,you will know how to best help her.